You can set up rules to explain your bank transactions. Once a rule is set up, DoubleAgent runs it automatically on a regular basis.
Set up a rule once, and you never have to explain those transactions again in FreeAgent!
Before you start
First you have to tell FreeAgent not to guess explanations for your transactions. After all, instead of guesses you know exactly what the explanations should be.
- In FreeAgent go to your bank account's page and click the Edit Details button (in the top-right corner);
- Untick the Guess explanations for my transactions box and save your changes.
Alternatively, if you want DoubleAgent to explain some transactions and Guess to explain the rest:
- In FreeAgent go to your bank account's page, open the More dropdown (in the top-right corner), and click the Guess Rules link.
- Go to the Excluded Terms tab.
- Add terms for the transactions you want Guess to ignore and DoubleAgent to explain.
For more details see FreeAgent's How to manage Guess article, particularly the section How to exclude a transaction term.
Every rule starts with a section where you specify how to spot the transactions you want the rule to explain.
Here we are looking for debits of any amount which have the word github somewhere in the transaction's description:
With the description, capitalisation doesn't matter. github would match github, GitHub, and GITHUB.
Runs of spaces between words are treated as a single space, both in transactions' descriptions and in the text the description should match.
Use the Preview matching transactions button to see if the conditions match the transactions you want it to. When previewing, DoubleAgent only looks at transactions from the past 3 months.
Once you are happy with the matching conditions, the next section of the form tells DoubleAgent how it should explain the matching transactions.
Follow the links below to learn about the different explanations.